Usually when we use the washroom so comfortably, we don't know that there is a whole lot more to just flushing the toilet. The Drainage Branch of any municipal government is very important to every citizens life, from the daily human usage to the prevention of storm floods.
From the project engineers to the project managers all the way up to the labourers, a lot of continuous hard work goes into these projects, from design to the end construction.
So how do I fit into this picture?
Well, I'm a Business Co-Op student, and I'm expected to relieve some workload off of my supervisors. Surprisingly, the engineers here do a whole lot more than just designing, actually they do financial tracking, hiring, some project management and much more. There's a lot of different things a business student can help with. So far I've been assigned to cost-tracking of a project, from the (budgeted cost) to (estimate to date) and later on (actual cost), all to keep track and know if we're going over or under our targeted budget. This type of work ranges in the millions for a single project, so it's very serious business, hence why the tracking is so rigorous, as well as the fact that this is tax payer dollars.
What's in it for me?
Actually a whole lot, I have been given so most different opportunities to gain experience. I've only been here a couple of weeks and already, I have been asked to set up an inventory system to track where some equipment are, I have been asked to purchase some tools, I have done some cost tracking (Accounting Managerial, Bruce Thurston's class helped big time) and I'm soon going to do some ISO orientation for new hires (HR), soon to use SAP, as well as this Intelex system to track environmental issues. Also I've done some site visits, as well as field trip to Lafarge production plant (AMAZING!!!). WOW Lafarge has some outstanding technology in cement building.

No comments:
Post a Comment